Bloch & Falk: A Special Wurst (sausage) Store

herta (medium size)_opt

Herta Bloch, 2013, NYC

Herta Bloch — who we wrote about in our last post HERE – knew practically everyone in the German-Jewish community of Washington Heights in NYC between the 1940s through the mid-1990s, because during those years so many people shopped at Bloch & Falk, the store she owned with her husband Alfred. They came to buy the German-style cold cuts and sausages (Aufschnitt and Wurst) that were made exclusively of beef or veal (as opposed to the de rigueur pork of most German meat products). All of their products were made and smoked on-site in the back room: kosher salami, ring sausage, pastrami, smoked tongue, corned beef, the ubiquitous cervelat (a hard salami) and many other assorted meats.

bloch falk counter_opt      bloch falk sausages_opt

Vintage images of Bloch & Falk store, Washington Heights, NYC Photos courtesy of Herta Bloch

My grandparents, as well as most of their friends and family, shopped at Bloch & Falk. After Oma and Opa moved to New Jersey in the 1950s, they continued to make the short journey back over the Hudson River to shop at Bloch & Falk on a regular basis for the provisions they ate on a daily basis. The store was on Broadway and 173rd Street and was an easy stop en route to or from New Jersey via the George Washington Bridge. I don’t think their refrigerator was often without a stash of cured meats wrapped in white, waxy butcher’s paper. After Opa died, my uncle Andy would often stop in there to shop for Oma, until the store went out of business in the 1990s.

BlochFalk w customers_opt (1)      BlochFalk making sausage_opt_opt

Vintage images of Bloch & Falk store, Washington Heights, NYC. Photos courtesy of Herta Bloch

Today the type of food Bloch & Falk produced has almost completely disappeared. Sausages and cold cuts with that unique blend of both German and Jewish qualities barely exist anymore — and if so, probably not with the superior quality of B&F, where everything was made by hand, in-house and in small batches. We were surprised to discover, quite by accident, a beef ring sausage for sale at the Kleinmarkthalle in Frankfurt (a large, indoor market with many stalls of food purveyors) in 2011. My mother spotted it first: Rindwurst (beef sausage) written in blue writing on a package in the glass case of a meat vendor we were walking past. Since it is unusual to see beef, instead of the usual pork, sausages in Germany, she inquired of the purveyor and learned that the company – Gref Völsings,  a local sausage company in Frankfurt that has been in business since 1894 — originally made these sausages specifically for their Jewish customers starting about 100 years ago, and has continued making them ever since. My mom bought a vacuum sealed package of the Rindwurst to bring home to Boston. There, she made the same traditional lentil soup that both her mother and grandmother made when she was a kid, using the smoked Ringwurst from Bloch & Falk to impart a smoky, meaty flavor to the soup. To her great surprise, she said it tasted very, very much the same as the Ringwurst from her childhood!

rindwurst2 frankfurt_opt rindwurst3 frankfurt_opt

People who remember the store and their products still lament the loss of Bloch & Falk. To this day, people write comments on blogs and internet chat rooms about their Wurst and Aufschnitt in yearning tones. Herta shrugs off the suggestion that someone, somewhere might make a similar product. “Ah, it would be much too expensive to do it the way Alfred made it. And besides, no one knows how to do it.” Yet, Herta perhaps isn’t fully aware of the growing artisanal food movement, one where people are willing to seek out — and spend more — for quality, hand-made products. Perhaps this is the type of product that would allow two seemingly distant food worlds — one of Old World traditions and the other of modern tastes rediscovering those same Old World traditions, to successfully meet up.

We wonder: would there be a market today for these types of sausages and cold cuts that have all but become extinct? What are your thoughts? We would like to hear from you!

–Sonya

About these ads
119 comments
  1. Margot Maier Miller said:

We used to have packages sent several times a year to us in Richmond ,Va.

• Gaby said:

Thanks for the comment. The reach of this food is very impressive. Was it the Ring or the cervelat or what else did you order?
      (Gaby)

• Tom Bloom said:

If any of you are out on Long Island, N.Y. in Huntington. Forest Pork Store makes cervelat that in my opinion is a carbon copy of that richly smokey cervelat from Bloch and Falk. They also have all the old favorites, teawurst, blutwurst, liverwurst, baloney, etc. I think many of their items are better than Shaller and Weber, although they are also very good.

• Marleen said:

A pork store can’t be Jewish or kosher. Where can I find the veal baloney that we used to buy at Bloch and Falk in the 1950s and 60s?

• Tom Bloom said:

Thank you for your astute comment that pork cannot be Kosher. However I don’t recall that I said Forrest Pork Store was Kosher or Jewish. Do you believe that every Bloch and Falk customer was Kosher? I don’t think so. In any case good luck with your search.

• Marleen said:

No, of course I’m sure that not every Bloch and Falk customer was Jewish or German or Kosher, but weren’t all of the products Kosher? By the way, I don’t need kosher, but the veal baloney I remember was so mild and delicious. Also as I read through the comments before mine, I can reminisce about my life in Washington Heights: P.S. 187, GWHS, and in 1962 the summer after I graduated from high school, I also went to Camp Pine Cone.

• Evelyn Neu Weiler said:

You might want to contact Wasserman & Lemberger in Baltimore. Reading through the thread of Blogs, I note that they made veal aufschnitt products at one time. They are also Kosher from what I read. Who knows! Perhaps they can also ship.

• Ben said:

My parents used to order cartons of Bloch & Falk wursts, delivered coast-to-coast (to California) when I was a kid growing up. My mother would even have cases of the stuff sent to me when I was a student in college. The liverwurst was — hands-down — the best wurst. If the company ever started up, there would be at least one avid customer…

2. Paul S. Schueller said:

After moving to Richmond, VA, my father used to travel to NYC on business every few weeks and brough back all our favorites from Bloch & Falk. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Now that I live in Westchester County, it would be so easy to get to Manhattan to buy our fill of Aufschnitt.

• sonya said:

Thanks for writing, Paul. I’m curious, what were some of your favorites? And do you buy “substitutes” elsewhere (i.e. does anything else come close to those mouth-watering tastes that you remember)? — Sonya

• Paul S. Schueller said:

Hello, Sonya. Among my favorites: Rauchfleisch, Cervelat, Thüringer Landwurst, Leberwurst, Fleischwurst, Knackwurst. There were others, but those come to mind, after all these years. Are there “real” substitues?

• sonya said:

Wow, what a long list of favorites, thanks Paul! I assume you are asking a rhetorical question — I don’t know if there are any ‘real’ substitutes. I assume not, but I was wondering if you knew of anything that comes close. Or anything you eat instead.

I think it’s an interesting idea to think about recreating these original Wursts and Aufschnitts, since so many people have such incredible memories of eating them!

• Alex said:

Sonya,
        I’m one of the proprietors of a place called Aarons gourmet emporium http://www.aaronsgourmet.com
        I started at Bloch and Falk in the 80′s and we carry some of the goodies they used to.
        We absolutely have everything in raw meat.
        Alex.

• sonya said:

Alex, thanks for writing! Which items do you carry that B&F used to have? –Sonya

• Alex said:

Sonya,
        We absolutely have everything and more in the raw product line. By more I mean goose, foie gras, quail, pheasent, wild ducks, bison and venison besides all of the usual.
        In the cold cuts we sell cervelat, pepperoni, Hungarian salami, turkey bacon, lamb bacon and beef fry, etc. I would really be interestes, if there is someone out there whom would like to share the recipes in producing some of the Old time products that you can’t find anywhere anymore, talking strictly kosher.

• ilevie@aol.com said:

Paul–do you have red hair and lived on 162 St. at one time???

Inge Loewenthal Levie

• Paul S. Schueller said:

Yes, I still have red hair, although there is gray mixed in now., and yes, I lived on 162 St. I cannot believe you remember that. Where are you now?

3. TomL_NYC said:

Hi Sonya. Here is a comment I sent to your mother — which she urged me to adapt for the blog.

Of course my mother, too, bought sausage, salamis and ring wurst there as well. I especially liked the ring wurst (I think that is the right name), a spicy dark red sausage bent into a ring with ends tied with string. You enjoyed yours with lentil soup; we had split pea (Campbell’s). I added croutons in later years whenever I cooked this for myself. Really loved it until I began to fret over the fat content.

Used to buy it for my parents in Florida almost every time I visited — until the shop closed, and then found similar items in Schaller & Weber (NYC).

I also remember well how Stephan (your grandfather) loved small spicy frankfurters, with sharp mustard. I am reminded how nicely he and your grandmother treated me to many a dinner in Englewood, NJ, in the 60s, 70s and 80s, if I remember the dates correctly. Every three or four months or so. And for the longest time Stephan would profer me a cigar after dinner, and an aquavit, a Swedish liqueur that my father was fond of as well.

Tom

Hi Tommy,
      Thanks for sharing you memories of wurst (and Opa’s offerings of cigars and Aquavit)!
      –Sonya

4. Susan Pfeiffer Plaut said:

thoroughly enjoyed reading about Bloch & Falk brings back memories (Good). Wish we could find a place to buy all those good things .

• sonya said:

Thanks for writing Susan! Glad you enjoyed reading the post, and that it evoked good memories. I’m wondering…what were the types of things you bought at Bloch & Falk? Which were your favorites?
      – Sonya

• Edith Koenig said:

Someone sent me this e-mail and it sure brought back memories of Herta and the good “wurst” they made and sold. How are you Susan? I live at the Jersey shore for the past 17 years and am well. How about you? Edith Gutman Koenig

• Marion Bloch said:

Hi Edith,

This is Marion Bloch, regards from my mom, Herta. We are just sitting here at home reading all of the comments about her and my father’s business.

5. Paul S. Schueller said:

To Susan Pfeiffer Plaut: Did you live at 162 St & B’way? Was your father’s name Julius?

Paul Schueller

• Paul S. Schueller said:

To Susan Pfeiffer Plaut: Further to my earlier question, was your mother’s name Rita, and di you have a sister, Edith, who moved to Baltimore? Your dad used to play cards with my dad.

Paul Schueller

6. Ron Kaufman said:

The absolute best…I grew up eating their wurst and cold cuts. The German-Jewish answer to soul food.

7. Ron Kaufman said:

You can get freshly made cervelat wurst at Wasserman and Limberger, a kosher butcher in Baltimore MD. I believe the owners are Swiss.

• sonya said:

Thanks for writing, Ron. And thanks too for the heads up about Wasserman and Limberger. Have you had their wurst? –Sonya

• Howard Wasserman said:

That was my father’s store, Wasserman and Lemberger. My dad used to make veal aufschnit, corned beef aufschnit, tongue aufschnit and I remember helping him. He used to get nice size orders from Bloch and Falk and Kestrich( not right spelling). I used to pick up the boxes from the Greyhound station in downtown Baltimore. What a great memory,having the station wagon smell of ceverlats and other sausages and salamis. My father passed away in 1986 and Mr. Lemberger sold the store in 1992 to Mr. Ari Benjamin from Switzerland. he is the son of a sausage maker in Switzerland and now makes some of the best aufgschnit,hot dogs,cold cuts and other meat delicacies. Defintely worth a trip to this store.

• Gaby said:

I love the way things are coming full circle with Wasserman and Lemberger as a focal point, a store that today has a direct connection back to Bloch and Falk and makes a highly recommended contemporary product. Thank you Howard for putting it all together and Alfred for contributing your memories to the story as well.

8. Alfred Loeb said:

My name is Alfred Loeb and my father went into the moveing busness in 1942 he found that he needed to provide transportan for some of the people he moved to the beachs and up to the Catskills so he went into the Limo. business. We used to take people to all the Hotels in the Catskills but along with the people we took along express packages from
    Bloch & Falk, Polk 133th Street and Schaller & Weber. When ever I would have a package to take up to the mountains I always got somethin as a tip from all to the companys I serviced. Of course both my parents and I alway bought meat from Bloch & Falk because that was so near to we lived. Now one other thing I had to relatives who worked for Bloch & Falk. One was Bert Strauss who went onto to become a butcher in Calforina and ended up Vice Preisdent of Freade Stores. The other was Berni Waserman who opened Wasserman & Limberger. They got there Cold Cuts from Bloch & Falk for years. While I was stationed at Camp Lejune in N.C. I often drove down an when I went thru Baltimore I often had big orders to carry down. Years later they made thgere own Cold Cuts. By te way as an aside when I was 16 years old mym sister and my cousine Hedy Loeb Wasserman (Bernies wife) got engaged my father made a party for them at resturaunt on 57th street in New York. I was introduced there to Aquavit,and to this day I have a bottle in my freezer both in my home in Pearl River and in Florida. I wish I could find the kind of meats and service we all got back in the old days. By the way the wurst in the station in Fraanfort is very could.

• Karl Hess said:

My name is Karl Hess, and I live in West Nyack, NY. I have fond memories of Bloch and Falk. My mother, Melitta and my dad, Oscar, always bought their cervelat and aufschnitt at B&F for our Sunday night suppers. My dad, a painter, painted their store. I am happy to hear that Herta is still alive and “kicking.” I always loved the samples I got.

9. Evelyn wolff sanders said:

Such very fond memories especially of the smoked lever wurst. We would buy extras and freeze one for the times that the craving overcame us. Miss koesterich, as well. Nothing in NJ compares.

10. susan said:

I remember it well. My father would go there and shop and my mother would worry if she had enough space in her refrigerator (known as an ice box even without the old fashioned ice) for his over purchase of cold cuts. I still remember the taste of the cervelat wurst and the leber wurst. Loved to eat them together.

11. Gad Schmidt said:

My father max Schmidt worked at Bloch and Falk for 30 years before retiring in the early 80′s

• Michelle neumann said:

We were friends with Charlie Wertheim, another Bloch and Falk butcher!

12. Edith Oppenheimer said:

Oh2,How I Miss my usual trip to Bloch and Falk every Sunday.My son used to deliver orders from Riverdale and used to get samples which were his joy.

• Tom Bloom said:

They made something called landtwurst. It was a ring and my mother boiled it, even though I think it was smoked enough to eat raw. I was never able to find again. It went great with German kartuffel salad. Any ideas where it can be gotten today or what it is really named?

13. Tom Bloom said:

Are you kidding? Tell me where this nectar of the gods is available today, I’ll be there there is a store in Huntington, l.i. , ny, but it’s traif. It’s called Forest Pork Store. Their cervelat is pretty close to B&F. There was another purveyor called Pollack in Washington Heights, but I’m sure he is also gone

• Howard Wasserman said:

Your nectar really is at Wasserman and Lemberger in Baltimore. He does not ship out of state,but he makes a lot of different cold cuts,aufschnit, hot dogs,pickled turkey breast, landjaegers, jerkys, biltong,cervelat, and more.

• Marion Bloch said:

Where is Wasserman & Lemberger? We have lots of relatives in Baltimore and I will be going to Washington in November.

• Howard Wassermsn said:

Wasserman and Lemberger
        7006 Reisterstown Rd Baltimore, MD 21215
        (410) 486-4191

14. Edith Koenig said:

They had the best of all the German Jewish butcher stores in Washington Heights. Herta greeted everyone by name and a big smile. Glad to read she is doing well at 92.

15. Milt W. said:

A great article and comments. My mother Beate knows Herta and sees her at synagogue. Beate was a salesperson at the Alpine bake shoppe a few blocks away. Herta would buy bread there for sandwiches. I have fond memories of shopping at B&F and relished the cervelat.. something that I can’t get anymore. One of my college friends Larry N. used to work there and he would say there is nothing like the taste of fresh made wurst.!

16. David Greenbaum said:

Today, even at this hour, my mother retains in her basement freezer vacuum-sealed olive loaf, paper-wrapped gans leberwurst, and schwademagge purchased at Bloch and Falk in the very early Nineties, before Herr Bloch sold it to the Israelis without the recipes. Although the remains are almost certainly inedible, she was hoping someday to do gas chromatography of the petrified forcemeats, so that the spice mixtures Herr Bloch used, in an empty shop with all of his employees chased away, could be reconstructed. Here in Forest Hills, we made friends with Fred and MIllie Lauchheimer, who owned the B&F outlet off of Austin St., but Fred didn’t have an inkling of Herr Bloch’s knowledge.

One of Herr Bloch’s trainee butchers has Aaron’s Gourmet, in Rego Park, where the fleisch is very good – but, again he doesn’t try too often to make the old wurstschen, because he can’t ensure the same predictable output everytime he sets up. His frankfurters are very good, and he does a very nice corned beef.

• Tom Bloom said:

If anyone is ever out near Huntington, LI. and Kosher is not a deal breaker, try the Cervelat at Forest Pork Store on Jericho Turnpike. Get the wider one without the peppercorns. I think it is very close to the B&F ? They also have great Goose Liverwurst and teawurst( coarse and fine). I even have it shipped to Florida in the winter.

17. davidjoseph10 said:

18. Jeffrey Strauss-Goldsmith said:

Going on Sundays to Bloch & Falk was a tradition in our family. My greatest joy as a child to walk in there and have Uncle Alfred wave in to the back of the store. He would reach in a large paper bag, grab a nice fresh roll, cut it in half, and then walk me behind the counter asking what I would like! Whatever I asked for he laid in that roll, to a thickness wider than my eyes could open!
    One of my favorites was something he had called beef fry. Since bacon was a no-no, this was the substitute, and 100 times better.
    Later on when I moved to Florida (for 2 years) I would get a package almost every month. They came from Uncle Alfred, packed with love and meats to make me not miss my Sunday’s back home. I recently was talking about this with my mother and found out to my surprise, her and my father had no knowledge of Alfred doing this.
    Well, I do have other wonderful memories of Alfred and the family, but keeping to the story none so profoundly as my childhood with my personal butcher who had the best stuff in the world.

• Marion Bloch said:

Jeffrey,
      Show your mom this blog site, she will love it!
      Love,
      Marion

• Diane said:

I, too, remember going to Bloch and Falk on Sundays to get aufshnitt, cervelat, liver wurst, land jaeger, etc. it wasn’t Sunday without aufshnit. When the branch was opened in Forest Hills, it became a ritual and even my children remember the aufshnit and Bloch and Falk. There is nothing like this today, but I think price would be no object if someone could recapture the recipes. I continue to be kosher so this would be a novelty today. Abeles and Heyman makes liver wurst and cervelat that is similar but not exactly the same. Anything close for déjà vu!

19. David Awerbuch said:

My family bought our aufschnitt and other delicacies from Schildt Brothers, also in Washington Heights. My father was an air conditioning and refrigeration technician, they were one of his customers; I believe there was also some personal relationship between their family and my mother’s family (Sondheimer) as well going back to Frankfurt in Germany. I miss the various coldcuts,especially the langjaeger (
    spelling?) and shmearwurst (spelling?)

20. paul felder said:

We loved the Aufschnitt and the aroma, my wife Ruth was friendly with the Blochs, but then so was every one else wish they would still have a kosher place likr that. Paul Felder in Florida

21. Susan Marx Bartman said:

It was great reading this article. I just saw Herta recently during the summer. My father Walter Marx and my mother Elsie Marx were partners in the business. (They became partners in the store after the Falk family sold their share). I remember walking from PS 173 to my father’s store for lunch. I ate a lot of meat then and have become a vegetarian in recent years. I went to Camp Pine Cone and my parents sent us salami and landjaegers. All of my bunkmates loved the meats. My adult kids as well as a lot of previous customers would like to find a place that sells Bloch and Falk wurst.

• Evelyn (née Wolff) Sanders said:

I think I remember you. I went to P S 173, JHS 115 and George Washington H .S. Reading your comments rattled my brain to remembering you. Where do you live now? We live in NJ for many years. Retired and busy, but still love the tastes of Bloch and Falk.

• Debbie Koch Katz said:

I can still smell the salamis in our bunk. I remember always getting a slice of bologna when in the store and to this day can still taste the landjaeger. Are they still sold anywhere? Also a Washington Heights girl and graduate of GWHS.

• Marleen said:

Camp Pine Cone? That brings back memories. I was there in 1962, the summer after I graduated from GWHS. My cousin was there, I think, 15 years before that after she graduated from GWHS. I think Milt Fine was the head counselor when I was there. He became a principal in Riverdale much later. I forgot the director’s name. I think I do remember the resident rabbi Landsman and his wife Mindy.

22. Deborah Brown said:

I love these stories and discussions of neighborhoods in NYC, food and sausage. There were 2 Polish small grocers when I left Dorchester in ’95 that sold all kinds of sausage and one just opened up in Pittsfield, MA, 20 miles from where I live. I eat little meat but I always crave sausage. Such a exquisitely design site. x Deborah

23. Linda said:

I grew up across the street from Bloch & Falk. We used to go there all the time. Really happy to find this online.

24. Evelyn (née Wolff) Sanders said:

Your mom must be so happy to read all the comments and that so many remember Bloch and Falk. Reading about the store and the delicacies brought back both my husband’s memories and mine. I’m sure your mom would remember Ruth Sanders ( my mother in law) and my mom Anna Wolff. We and they were regulars. Give our best to your mom.

25. Contrary to all of you my brother and I grew up on Pollack cervelatwurst and other aufschnitt. When they went out of business we switched to Schaller and Weber. They are the lone survivors and we still enjoy it today. My children grew up with it and now my four grandchildren.and various in-laws that married in, do too. They have a retail store on 86th street. In New York you can buy it at Fairway and Zabar’s. Anywhere in the USA you can buy it at http://www.germandeli.com. They are located in Texas, believe it or not! My daughter, who lives on Mercer Island outside of Seattle, found cervelatwurst and other German delights at an Alpine deli within walking distance ( unfortunately now closed), it’s out there if you want it – and just as good.

26. Howard Wasserman said:

But Schaller and Weber products are treif and I think most followers on this blog didn’t eat that in the past or now.

• Tom Bloom said:

I know it is not Kosher and not for everyone, just another alternative. I used to go to Pollack under the Riverside Drive overpass near 125th St. I sorely miss those places.

• Evelyn Neu Weiler said:

There were several competitors to B&F in the 1940′s and ’50′s. There was Koesterich and Schild in addition to Pollack, however B&F was the most popular.

27. Marion Bloch said:

Well Howard, I still don’t eat trief, but it seems that most folks on this blog do.
    Marion (Herta’s daughter)

• Good Day.My name me is Fred Strauss whose mother was known as “die Frau Strauss aus der Gartenstrasse” from Frankfurt. In the US, she last lived on Ft. Washington Ave. When my parents were first wed in 1922, my mother bought her meat from B&F on the Zeil. I remembered as a long store and they seved “heise wuerstchen: on a roll in the front of the store.
      When we both (my Parents & the Bloch & Falk families came to the US, we became customers as well as friends again. When B& F closed their Washington Hts. store, we continued to buy from “lolly pop” Lauchheimer in Forest Hills but now are without the famous aufschnitt. Sine I donate it treff, per se, we used to buy veal wuerstchen From Schaller and Weber but that is not available anymore. I did find glatt kosher Servelat wurst at the Glatt Kosher Food Market in Lawrence here on Long Island whic is made by a buthcher in the Bronx.
      My family, especially my middle aged children remembered the real B&F aufschnitt which conisted of meat scraps which were smoked. My mouth waters everytime I think of that.
      They also had the most delicious veal roasts. My wife cannot duplicate my mother’s receipe.
      Anyway, we had to settle for non-kosher Sabrett franks.
      Please send our regards to your mother. I am sure that she remembers us. My eMail address is fskbassoc@aol.com.

28. Renee Ransenberg-Gale said:

My parents were both from Germany. My Dad and my mothers father my Opa both mad cervelat and raunch fleisch. I have the sausage maker tat my Opa brought from Frankfurt. I also have recipes fo making cervelat Rauchfleisch and other sausages. All beef. I am from Chicago.

• Renee, I would love to get your recipes. My wife and I are working to duplicate the aufschnitt we grew with. I especially miss lundjeiger (spelling?) and shmearwurst. Funny, our separate families were both customers of Schild Brothers and Abeles and Heiman – still buy the A&B franks (they are the best) as well as their cervelat and liverwurst!
      Please try to reach me offline if you wish david -dot- awerbuch -at- gmail -dot- com.

29. Sylvia I said:

I think that you should post those recipes!!

30. Evelyn Neu Weiler said:

This Blog is turning out to be the Facebook of old Washington Heights and Inwood. How fortunate for all of us and who knows, could it also be that Bloch & Falk was the Starbucks of its day in our old neighborhood…a place where our parents all seemed to have gathered for something that we all really enjoyed. Cervelatwurst then, a bold Cafe Verona now.

I fondly recall those Sunday afternoons with my parents on Broadway and 175th Street as my sister and I got our free slice of Bologna while our parents purchased all the Deutsche Speziatitaeten (sp) for the week. (Lets not forget the smoked Liverwurst for our cat.)

My husband now brings home an occasional pound of sliced Shaller and Weber Beef Cervelat (together with a Marzipan treat). It is the closest wurst to the real thing produced by Bloch & Falk.

31. Susan Greenberg said:

I grew up in Washington Heights and my Oma shopped weekly at Bloch & Falk for her family and neighbors. In 1977 my other Oma gave me the cookbook “Recipes Remembered, German-Jewish specialties” compiled by the sisterhood of Congregation Habonim in NYC (1976). I use the recipes in the book for my Passover Hazelnut-cake and matzoh balls (made from whole matzohs, crushed) just like Oma made. – Glad I found this blog.

• Tom Bloom said:

Dear Susan Greenburg,
      I was Bar mitzvahed by Rabbi Hahn of Habonim when they still didn’t have a synagogue and rotated between NYC and Elmhurst. Of course that was 1954. Would it be possible to get a copy of the recipe book you refer to? My wife and I would one to see it.
      Thanks,
      Tom Bloom

• Susan Rosenbaum Greenberg said:

Dear Tom Bloom,

I contacted congregation Habonim about what appears to be a great interest in the 1976 recipe book, many in my family are also interested in copies. Habonim is preparing for a November celebration of their 75th anniversary and will consider my request to recreate the origianl Recipes Remembered.

Best Wishes,
        Susan

• Alex said:

We would be very interested in recreating some, if not all of the fine products Bloch and Falk used to carry. Alex.

• sonya said:

I’m glad you found us, too, Susan! Recipes Remembered is a wonderful cookbook. We’ve not yet made that version of matzoh balls, using whole matzoh, but I’m looking forward to giving it a try. It so happens that a family friend of my Oma and Opa (Jules Michel) has a wonderful recipe in the book for twice-baked potato kugel — (and his wife did the artwork for the book’s cover). — Sonya

• Susan (Rosenbaum) Greenberg said:

I just found these replies to my earlier post regarding Recipes Remembered. I have had several request from family members for copies of this book. I remember many of the contributors; some were my neighbors, some were related, and some of the recipes came from the archives of the Leo Baeck Institute. I will look into recreating this book for those interested, and especially for my children. – Best wishes,
        Susan

Susan,
        That sounds wonderful, please keep us posted on your progress of reproducing Recipes Remembered!!
        – Sonya

• Susan Pfeiffer Plaut said:

Would love to know when the cookbook is available

• Tom Bloom said:

I think it is amazing and wonderful how much interest there is in the Washington Heights nostalgia and especially the wonderful “wurst” memories. In the absence of definite progress on the cookbook, I was wondering if photocopies could be made of the original. I certainly would be willing to pay Kinkos to make copies if someone volunteered the original. If anybody has any further thoughts on the matter, please speak up.

32. sonya said:

Tom Bloom,
    Though you asked the question of Susan Greenburg, allow me to chime in on your question re: Recipes Remembered: the book has been out of print for quite some time. I believe the congregation is currently working on a new edition, but I have no idea what the status is, or whether it will contain any of the recipes from the original edition. I know that the 1970s edition is in the collection of various libraries, such as that of the Center for Jewish History on 16th St. in NYC. –Sonya

• Tom Bloom said:

Hi,
      Is the book very big or could it be scanned? I still have recipe cards from my mother that I could contribute if I can read them. If someone would mail me the book, I would scan it and return to sender.
      Tom

Tom,
        We do not have a copy of the book, only a photocopy. I suggest looking for a copy at a library that you could scan or copy! If you are in the NYC area, I believe there is a copy at the main branch of NY Public Library (in addition to the Center for Jewish History that I mentioned previously).
        – Sonya

33. Danny Wertheimer said:

Remember Bloch & Falk so well. My Mother Lisa was a caterer for Beth Hillel and she often get the cold cuts(aufschnitt) from the store. I am a decades long vegetarian but some of the memories for these thinly sliced pieces of Kalbsaufshnitt still makes my mouth water.
    Regards to family members of this store. If Richard Bloch reads this and remembers me give ma holler, here in Oakland CA.

• Marion Bloch said:

Danny,
      So sorry to tell you that Richard passed away in December.
      Marion

34. A big hello to Herta from Sandy Jacoby! I have fond memories of you at the store. And you did many kind things for me when I was a kid. Also hello to Marion, Richard, and Andrew. The best part of the store was having Alfred give you a big smile while he bustled about in his white coat.
    I happened to be fond of sulze. My meatcutter uncle would make his own, preparing it in a bowl. Then he’d flip the bowl over and the gelatinous hemisphere would fall out.
    I yearn for the foods of my childhood. There isn’t much available in Los Angeles and of course it’s treif (though that hasn’t stopped me). If anyone wants to make me a meal (and a deal)…..
    By the way, Im a Pine Cone alumnus, 1962-1967. As some of you may know, Marty Schwartzschild passed away a few years ago.

Somewhere I have some recipes written in my grandmother’s indecipherable script.

• sonya said:

Sandy, Same title, but it’s a different book! The book mentioned was self-published by the synagogue — it’s out of print (though I’ve heard the congregation is preparing to publish a new edition). So glad you enjoyed reading about Herta et al. If you ever take a look at your grandmother’s recipes we’d love to hear about them! — Sonya

• Marion Bloch said:

Hi,

I will pass on my information on to my mom. I just wanted anyone who reads this blog to know that my brother Richard passed away in December.

Marion

• Marleen said:

Right! The name was Marty Schwartzschild. Wasn’t his dad a doctor? Pine Cone 1962-1967. How old were you then? I was almost 18 (in ’62).

35. Judy Herz said:

I remember as a little girl going into Bloch and Falk with my mother and getting a sample of aufsnitt every time. My mouth waters thinking of the Rauschfleish and cevalat. My father knew the Blochs from Beth Hillel. Regards to Herta.

• Marion Bloch said:

Thanks, I will pass on your hello to my mom.

Marion

36. mattp707 said:

My family owned a butcher shop on Third Ave in Manhattan called Carl Kaufman and Sons…from the early 1900′s to the 1950′s…unrelated to this, though wondering if anyone is familiar with it. However…I grew up in Queens and went to the Bloch and Falk on Austin St. and my uncle Jake Weinberg worked there. I remember being about 3 years old…and Jake driving up to our house in Kew Gardens Hills in his blue Plymouth, opening the trunk of the car, and before bringing the cold cuts to my mother, he peeled off a couple of slices of baloney for me…though like the others, I have great memories of the cervelat wurst.

37. sonya said:

mattp707, What a wonderful memory, thanks for sharing it!

38. Danny Wertheimer said:

Hi Marion I am so sorry to hear about your brother Richard. Hopefully he lived a happy and fulfilled yet short life. My condolences to you and of course to your Mother. Danny W.

• Marion Bloch said:

Thanks, I will pass on your condolences to our mom.

39. Paul S. Schueller said:

To Susan Pfeiffer Plaut. I tried to contact you you back in September when you placed a comment, to try to find out whether your parents’ names were Julius and Rita. They were good friends of parents, Otto and Martha, and we also lived on 162nd St, but on the west side of Broadway. I remember you had a younger sister, Edith who moved to Baltimore.
    Hope to hear from you.
    Paul Schueller

• Susan Pfeiffer Plaut said:

your memory is correct. Iremember your parents very well.Your mother was beautify,and she made me up for a play in hebrew school.where do live,we live in yonkers. It is nice to hear from you.

• Paul S. Schueller said:

Hello Susan….we are practically neighbors, since we live in White Plains. Perhaps we can get together some time to “catch up” on the past 65+ years?
        Paul

40. Irv Weiler said:

Somebody should set up a Bloch & Falk Reunion here in NY.

Irv,
      That would be fantastic!
      – Sonya

• Marion Bloch said:

Well if someone does, please let me know and I will let my mother know!

• Evelyn (née Wolff) Sanders said:

Would love a Washington heights reunion. There’s a very nice Marriott in Teaneck. Who likes the idea and wants to be the commander in chief to pull it together?

• Roy said:

Fond memories of the Bloch and Falk scene which was adjacent to my cousin’s Kosher butcher, Koesterich. Whenever shopping I used to buy the hard German salami at my cousins and sneak next door to Bloch and Falk’s for smoked liverwurst, other goodies and, of course, that slice of delicious bologna impregnated with pistachio nut slices. Hmmmmmm. But alas, you can’t eat memories! Even if we could it would be impossible to reproduce the scene.

However, seeing people from the neighborhood and sharing folk law of the Heights from the B&F heyday is something Irv, I would enjoy as well.

PS: If anyone has a lead to a German, Kosher, Smoked Liverwurst, using a dangling real or digital slice of bologna with pistachio slices served in warm, congenial environment…i would fly almost anywhere to get it. I can smell it now and am getting hungry. Bye…

41. Marleen said:

A Washington Heights reunion sounds like fun! Let’s plan one.

• Marleen said:

Sorry, Freddy. I don’t know who Herta Bloch is, and of course no idea how to get in touch with her. By the way, I think I may have been the one to start this blog(?) when I asked about Bloch and Falk in the first place. I wanted to find the very mild veal baloney that I remember from my childhood 1950s +.

• Marion Bloch said:

Hi Freddy, I sent you an email after you sent the letter to my mom. I never heard back from you!

42. Lenny Roos said:

Having grown up in Washington Heights, and having had Holocaust survivors for parents, i was fortunate to have aufschnit sandwiches for school lunch every day, purchased at Bloch and Falk. My father was also a butcher, and friendly with Alfred and Herta from Congregation Beth Hillel – can can vividly remember going to the store on Broadway, and the aromas and tastes still resonate with me today – although I have not had beef or veal for almost 30 years -
    My best wishes to Herta Bloch, and of course, my condolences on the loss of Richard -

• sonya said:

Thanks for you vivid recollections of lunch, Lenny!
      – Sonya

• Marion Bloch said:

Hi, I will pass on your condolences to my mother.

43. Yvonne (Heumann) Daniel said:

Both my husband and I are from Washington Heights (171st Street) and have only fond memories of Bloch & Falk and the entire Heights experience. We have been married for 48 years and live in Baltimore. A number of years ago I went on a bus trip with my shul’s Sisterhood accompanied by our Rabbi. I happened to mention “aufsnit” to him and he made the bus driver go into the Heights, went into the store, and brought “aufsnit” on board for all to share. So sorry we can no longer do that.
    If a Heights reunion ever happens please find a way to post it.

• sonya said:

Thanks for the bus story, Yvonne, sounds like a really fun + tasty road trip!

• Marleen said:

Hi Yvonne, I think I remember you from GWHS, and did we also work together at PS 123? I also remember your husband’s name is Rene. Right? I still (now) live in NYC (Bayside Queens) but spent 15 years in Japan.

• Yvonne (Heumann) Daniel said:

What was your maiden name? I went to PS 173 and taught at a school in Harlem. You were right about my husband’s name. We’re living ib Baltimore.

• Marleen said:

I was Marleen Donath (now Rothstein). Did you go to 173 with Bernice (Kaver) Frisch? We are still in touch after these many years.

• Yvonne (Heumann) Daniel said:

I still have my GW yearbook and found your and Bernice’s pictures. You both look familiar now that I look at the pictures.
        Which Junior High did you go to?

• Marleen said:

To Yvonne; I didn’t go to junior high. P.S. 187 was an 8th grade school then, so I entered GW in Sept. 1958.

44. Stewart Florsheim said:

Great to see all this banter about B&F! The store was started by my grandfather (Falk) and his brother-in-law (I believe that’s the family connection!) in Frankfurt, and then they brought the store to NYC. The rest is history–and lots of bologna with pistachio nuts!

• sonya said:

Wow, thanks for stopping by Stewart!
      – Sonya